Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Chapter 3: Supporting Jobs and Growth
While our economy continues to grow and create jobs, the global economy remains fragile, Canadian businesses face ever-increasing competition from emerging market countries and a growing mismatch exists between available jobs and those looking for work.
In this environment, the Governments focus is on supporting job creation and growth.
Building on actions taken since 2006, Economic Action Plan 2013 introduces key initiatives to create jobs, promote growth and support long-term prosperity:
- Connecting Canadians With Available Jobs by equipping them with the skills and training they require to obtain high-quality, well-paying jobs.
- Helping Manufacturers and Businesses Succeed in the Global Economy by enhancing the conditions that foster the creation and growth of businesses, including measures that support a globally competitive manufacturing sector, build on Canada's financial sector advantage, increase and diversify our exports, and develop our natural resources in a safe, responsible and secure way, to protect and create high-quality, value-added jobs.
- A New Building Canada Plan that adds to the unprecedented investments in public infrastructure since 2006 and focuses on projects that create jobs and promote long-term economic growth and provide a high quality of life for Canadian families.
- Investing in World-Class Research and Innovation by promoting advanced, world-class research and business innovation, and fostering a vibrant entrepreneurial culture where new ideas are translated from laboratories into the marketplace.
- Supporting Families and Communities by investing in safe and secure communities and expanding opportunities for all Canadians to enjoy a high quality of life.
|Connecting Canadians With Available Jobs|
|The Canada Job Grant/Labour Market Agreements||500||500|
|Creating Opportunities for Apprentices||0||1||2|
|Supporting Job Opportunities for All Canadians||117||176||293|
|Subtotal—Connecting Canadians With Available Jobs||117||677||795|
|Helping Manufacturers and Businesses Succeed
in the Global Economy
|Strengthening the Competitiveness
of the Manufacturing Sector
|Supporting Small Businesses||56||174||15||245|
|Growing Trade and Investment||1||1||3|
|Responsible Resource Development||185||-19||166|
|Keeping Taxes Low for Job-Creating Businesses||2||5||6|
|Subtotal—Helping Manufacturers and Businesses
Succeed in the Global Economy
|Federal Investments in Job Creating Infrastructure|
|The New Building Canada Fund||210||210|
|Investments in Federal Infrastructure||123||102||225|
|Subtotal—Federal Investments in Job Creating Infrastructure||123||312||435|
|Investing in World-Class Research and Innovation|
|Supporting Advanced Research||174||206||380|
|Pursuing a New Approach to Supporting Business Innovation||75||88||163|
|Enhancing Canada's Venture Capital System||18||26||44|
|Subtotal—Investing in World-Class Research and Innovation||267||320||587|
|Supporting Families and Communities|
|Support for Families||82||82||164|
|Investing in Communities||133||476||609|
|Protecting Canada's Natural Environment||32||9||41|
|Building Strong Aboriginal Communities||95||90||185|
|Subtotal—Supporting Families and Communities||342||657||999|
|Total—Supporting Jobs and Growth||56||1,210||2,352||3,618|
|Less funds existing in the fiscal framework||281||1,394||1,675|
|Less funds sourced from internal reallocations||6||27||33|
|Net fiscal cost||56||922||931||1,909|
|Note: Totals may not add due to rounding.|